The Day After

Written by Drew on November 5th, 2008

When I got home last night after teaching a class at the little college just over the mountain from my home, a glance at the television set told me that the votes had been counted and that Barack Obama would be the 44th president of the United States.

I didn’t vote for Barack Obama.  I couldn’t in good conscience pull the lever for a man that advocates abortion and promotes homosexual lifestyles.  I disagree with the idea that the answer to America’s economic woes is to spread the wealth around.  I’m nervous about Mr. Obama’s lack of experience and the path that he took to get to where he is today.

However, I believe in democracy.  America voted yesterday, and a transfer of power is coming January 20th not by force or tyranny, but by the will of the people.  That is the way it ought to be.

John Adams said, “Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide.”  I’m not sure what he meant by that, but perhaps he feared that America would forget what life was like under Great Britain when they were not free.  A democracy commits suicide when it quits believing in itself and refuses to accept the results of a general election.  If we let that happen, America dies.

Even Christians who are opposed to the liberal social agenda can find something to appreciate in an Obama presidency.  Barack Obama is this country’s first black president.  Forty years ago the idea of a black president was unthinkable.  Obama’s presidency is a sign that we’ve entered a post-racial age.  This has come not a day too early.  Christians worship a God who does not respect persons, one who created all men equal, as the Declaration of Independence explains.  Barack Obama may not end the sin of abortion or homosexuality, but maybe he symbolizes the end of a great sin that is often overlooked in our churches–the sin of racism.

This morning I was driving along, enjoying the beautiful fall foliage, when my eye caught a McCain-Palin sign, above which someone had posted another, larger sign with bold black lettering that read, “Don’t Blame Me!”  I don’t know who lives in the house where this sign is posted, but whoever he is, he needs to step back from politics and take a deep breath.

I’m reminded of a poem by Yeats:

How can I, that girl standing there,
My attention fix
On Roman or on Russian
Or on Spanish politics?

There’s more to life than politics.  We may have a new president come January, and he will certainly wield an influence over this country, but our lives will continue for the most part the way they always have.  We still have our careers and the bills and the kids’ homework and errands to run.  There will be weekends with friends, holidays with family, and church services with brothers and sisters in Christ.

For Christians there is a higher mission.  Obama ran on change, but the political arena changes little.  The gospel is God’s power for change.  Now that the election is over, let’s refocus and do our work as ambassadors for Christ.

1. Thomas Ho says:

I’m NOT sure that I can share your optimism that “our lives will continue for the most part the way they always have”

I found this thread to be very disturbing:

2. rick says:

When will Christians learn that social and spiritual change is not made through politics but through the heart.

3. rick says:

Drew, I thought this might be something worth reading…
    “No one can be certain of the future, of course. Cultures in decline have, unpredictably, turned themselves around before. Perhaps ours will too. Perhaps, ultimately, we will become so sick of the moral and aesthetic environment that is growing in America that stricter standards will be imposed democratically or by moral disapproval… If its intellectual and moral bankruptcy is repeatedly exposed, perhaps modern liberalism will die of shame… But then again, perhaps not… Chances are… we probably face is an increasingly vulgar, violent, chaotic, and politicized culture…” (Robert H. Bork, Hard Truths About the Culture War, Copyright (c) 1995 First Things, June/July 1995)

4. Jason says:

I find your article very interesting. When watching the election they were interviewing Oprah. It was interesting that she quoted Matthew 16:26 “For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeit his soul…” Her application was she knew Obama was the right person to run for president and if she did not help Obama she might lose part of her soul. For a person who advocates the “The Secrect” life style I’m surprised she didn’t quote anything from it. Too bad she didn’t use the Bible verse in the right application.

5. Rick Nichols says:

Drew,

I am not sure I share the same optimism either. referring to your most recent post, remember, Adolph Hitler was elected by a popular vote. His mantra “Change”.

6. Josh Ketchum says:

Drew,
    I liked your blog and appreciated you pointing out that even though this doesn’t help in standing against other sins, it does represent that as a nation we have grown in most ways past the sin of racism. Good point. Hope things are good for you and your family.
    Josh Ketchum

7. Matthew says:

There is always optimism when God is still on the throne. Good Post.

8. Meghan from TX says:

Excellent post – one of the best ones I’ve seen regarding Obama. While I did not vote for him and don’t support his views, it does no good to bash him and criticize Christians who voted for him. Believe it or not, Obama has ties to the church of Christ (not just United COC but the Church of Christ) – read this: http://brotherhoodnews.com/2008/07/02/obama-names-acu-grad-as-faith-advisor/ AND http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/Oct/09/dont-lock-into-political-party-obama-adviser-acu/.
    I don’t think racism will ever be eliminated in the church, but perhaps we are getting closer………..