Another One Makes the Switch

Written by Drew on September 19th, 2007

Shane Scott over at Faith & Thought decided to switch from the New American Standard to the English Standard Version of the Bible. I have to admit–his choice was more considered than mine.

Take a look at his three-part discussion. It involves a good analysis of the two translations.

By the way, I’m enjoying preaching out of the ESV. However, I’m having a hard time getting those KJV quotations to evolve into flow of the ESV. I’m sticking to my notes a lot more.

1. Joel1245 says:

Wow! It’s been a while since I’ve been to Shane’s site. He’s had a face lift. Thanks for the article Drew. 🙂

Joel

2. Kathy says:

I switched to ESV almost a year ago, even though that is not a version used much in our congregation. My reasons for changing were (1) my other Bible was about to fall apart and (2)everyone on the blogosphere was raving about the ESV. Should I have confessed that? I have found ESV to be very good, except when I run across sections I have memorized from the other version. Then it causes great inner turmoil!

3. Matthew says:

Everyone is going ESV, but for me, the NASB is the best.

4. Kevin W. Rhodes says:

I’m sticking with the NKJV myself, even though it is has its own flaws. But I sure do feel for you on the memory work. My own memory work is now a conglomeration of KJV, NKJV, and various corrections or changes I make, sometimes unconsciously, based on the Greek.

5. Roger says:

Drew,

What do you make of the ESV’s rendering of Romans 3:3? Thanks.

6. Roger says:

Drew, please disregard my question…seems that issue I was reading has a typo. Instead of “faithlessness” it said “faith.”

7. Drew says:

Thanks, Roger, that clears it up. I was trying to figure out how I would answer your question, but I couldn’t see your dilemma.

8. Roger says:

Drew,
    I sent you a personal e-mail through the account given on the church’s website where you preach asking a question. Did you receive it? Thanks.