The Da Vinci Con

Written by Drew on May 8th, 2006

As every one in the solar system knows, The Da Vinci Code opens this weekend. With a team like Ron Howard and Tom Hanks, along with the vivid imagination of author Dan Brown, the movie is sure to be a success. Not since George Lucas revived Star Wars has there been this much hype about a movie.

Fiction deserves some license for imagination. And both Howard and Hanks claim to be Christians and say their movie is only entertainment, not a history lesson. On the other hand, Brown’s position is that “the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist;” only the characters and their theories are fictional. The objective of the book, he says, is to “serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.”

The problem is that few will see The Da Vinci Code with these disclaimers in mind. The combination of the rich tapestry of Howard’s cinematography, Hanks’s compelling performance, and Brown’s good yarn will posit a strong challenge to the true history behind Christianity.

I have neither the time nor the energy to work up my own response to The Da Vinci Code. Allow me to post some links for further reading:

Even if you don’t read any of the above articles, you have to give the authors credit for coming up with all those clever titles.

1. J-Train says:

This doesn’t really have anything to do with the topic, but it is a pressing matter. Drew, we need to get you a different picture of you for your profile. The one currently being used is not the best picture. I don’t know why I haven’t noticed it until now, but I’m now on a mission. We might have to go shirtless, to get the ladies on the blog.

2. Daniel says:

Another pertinent article is The Da Vinci Protocols by David Klinghoffer.

Klinghoffer is Jewish but brings some interesting thoughts pertinent to the discussion.

He states, “Rather than taking traditional Christian beliefs at face value and arguing with them (as I do in my current book by the way), Dan Brown portrays the religion itself as resting upon a conscious deception. That excuses him from having to make arguments at all.

Additionally, he states, “Yet to the cause of conspiracy theorizing, he has done a wonderful favor, training his readers in the habits of paranoia and gullibility. For people committed to finding the truth through investigation and argumentation, that’s depressing.”

Here a link to the article http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NDY0YmNhMjc5YThmZWIxY2VjNmM3MWE0YjU1MDFhYTg

Daniel

What makes you think there aren’t any ladies on the blog?

What makes you think there aren’t any ladies on the blog?

[b]Because it would look too much like dancing![/b]

(oops. Right punchline, wrong setup.)

Maybe I could do one of those thoughtful poses, chewing on a pair of reading glasses or rubbing my chin.

Maybe Nature Boy could make an appearance (sorry, inside joke).

6. Beth says:

I would go with the chin rubbing pose. LOL
    After reading a few articles in your blog I see the problem. The president of Sony stated “They’ve got a job to do to make the movie. It was easier for everybody to just go make the movie.”

7. J-Train says:

Scientists are still debating over the existence of “Nature Boy”. I however am drawn to the mystical, and tend to believe that Nature Boy is in fact a real thing. If we could hunt down and capture “Nature Boy”, you could have your picture taken with him. Then all the skeptics would have to agree that Nature Boy is real…and that instrumental music is not authorized in New Testament worship!

Nature Boy offers two choices to each mind as well, truth and repose.

-Joel (believer in “Nature Boy”

test

9. Scott says:

Thanks for the article and the list of links to other articles written on this subject. People need to know the truth behind this popular book and movie. Dan Brown’s book is very deceptive and I appreciate you providing this information.

10. Rick Williams says:

thanks for the links to other articles. i had been trying to find out what the DaVinci Code was all about, and this filled me in. good job.