Gone Is the Eponymous Blog

Written by Drew on May 1st, 2006

To borrow a phrase from wordsmith Ike Pigott, gone is the “eponymous blog.” Today marks the beginning of “Truth and Repose.”

I think Emerson’s quote–“God offers to every mind its choice between truth and repose.”–is fitting for what I’m trying to do in this little corner of the web. I want this work to be about the struggle for truth. Sometimes the pursuit of truth is frustrating, unsettling even, but that’s the nature of truth. Because we’re created free, and not brainwashed automatons, we may choose mental repose, but those who do will pay for it in the end. The reason I set this blog up is to encourage people to “buy truth and sell it not”–whatever the price (Prov. 23:23).

The “comments” feature is so useful to this endeavor. As long as opinions are respectful and brief, I leave them up, no matter what they say. The pursuit of truth is impossible without the exercise of dissent.

Never before has it been harder to fight for truth. Postmodernism claims there is no truth: “You have your set of standards; I have mine. Neither is wrong; both are right.” At Truth and Repose we operate under a different philosophy, old-fashioned as it may be. God’s Word is the absolute (Jn. 17:17). And those who understand it and accept it can arrive at real truth.

I considered the suggestion that the title ought to be altered to say “Truth or Repose,” making it clear that this is an either/or proposition. In the end I decided to leave the title as it is. Emerson’s quote makes it clear that it presents a choice. Plus, “Truth or Repose” is hard to say. Too many Rs.

Thanks to everybody for their input. Maybe soon I can get a domain name. This, hopefully, will increase the site’s potential and lend it more credibility. Keep reading, commenting, and spreading the word.

Drew said:

God said:
    “Don’t refuse to accept into your group a person that is weak in faith. And don’t argue with that person about his different ideas. One person believes that he can eat any kind of food he wants. But if another person’s faith is weak, then that person believes he can eat only vegetables. The person that knows that he can eat any kind of food must not feel that he is better than the person that eats only vegetables. And the person that eats only vegetables must not decide that the person that eats all foods is wrong. God has accepted that person. You cannot judge another person’s servant. His own master decides if he is doing right or wrong. And the Lord’s servant will be right, because the Lord is able to make him right.

One person might believe that one day is more important than another. And another person might believe that every day is the same. Each person should be sure about his own beliefs in his own mind. The person that thinks one day is more important than other days is doing that for the Lord. And the person that eats all kinds of food is doing that for the Lord. Yes, he gives thanks to God {for that food}. And the person that refuses to eat some foods does that for the Lord. And he gives thanks to God.

Yes, {we all live for the Lord}. We don’t live or die for ourselves. If we live, we are living for the Lord. And if we die, we are dying for the Lord. So living or dying, we belong to the Lord. That is why Christ died and rose from death to live again. Christ did this so that he could be Lord (ruler) over people that have died and people that are living. So why do you judge your brother {in Christ}? Or why do you think that you are better than your brother? We will all stand before God, and he will judge us all. Yes, it is written in the Scriptures:

“Every person will bow before me;
    every person will say that I am God.
    As surely as I live, these things will happen, says the Lord (God).”
    (Isaiah 45:23)

So each of us will have to explain to God about the things we do.

Make them ready for your service through your truth. Your teaching is truth.

These Jews were better people than the Jews in Thessalonica. These Jews were very happy to listen to the things Paul and Silas said. These Jews in Berea studied the Scriptures every day. They wanted to know if these things were true.

Always, always remember it is God’s word that is truth and be like the Bereans.

2. J-Train says:

Berean!!!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Drew didn’t say:

He said POSTMODERNISM says it.

Why don’t you actually EXAMINE what was posted before you post such a foolish response.

-Joel

Typical liberal.

I find it rather amusing that it took Berean Examiner 481 words to misquote, misunderstand, and miss completely the point Drew made in only 317 words.

5. J-Train says:

Hilarious Ike!

Once again you have shown why I am going to follow you religiously. I’m sure there is a program that counts the words, but in my mind I have you pointing at the computer screen and counting each word. It makes it even more funny. Berean may want to check your blog and learn to do a little PR for himself. Right now he needs it more than the Duke lacross team.

It’s like Ike Pigott says:

“The easiest way to ensure that your words match your deeds to to choose your words wisely, and practice what you preach.”

-Joel

Okay, So you did not understand the point I was trying to make and I did not make myself clear. I was trying to say that “Postmodernism” got that idea (“You have your set of standards; I have mine. Neither is wrong; both are right.”) from Gods’ word (Romans 14). This is true if you do not go overboard with it. Yes, I did examine it but I did not get my point across So I was too fast on the keyboard before I put some real thought in to it. One of my brothers in Christ just sent a list of scripture talking about that. I do the same thing with my mouth. It is not what you are thinking. When I do it, It comes out with just a sound, not a word, just a sound.

Here is the list of scripture that my brother in Christ sent me.

The first group is from Proverbs.

“Wise people are quiet and learn new things. But foolish people talk and bring trouble to themselves” (10:14).

“A person who talks too much gets himself into trouble. A wise person learns to be quiet” (10:19).

“Good people know the right things to say. But evil people say things that bring trouble” (10:32).

“The person who is careful about the things he says will save his life. But the person who speaks without thinking will be destroyed” (13:3).

“If a person refuses to listen when other people try to help him, then he will bring trouble to himself. But the person who respects the things other people tell him, will be rewarded” (13:13).

“A wise person always thinks before he does something. But a foolish person shows he is stupid by the things he does” (13:16).

“A foolish person’s words cause him trouble. But the words of a wise person protect him” (14:3).

“Don’t become friends with a foolish person. There is nothing he can teach you” (14:7).

“A fool will believe anything he hears. But a wise man thinks carefully about everything” (14:15).

“When a wise person speaks, other people want to listen. But a foolish person speaks only foolishness” (15:2).

“Wise people say things that give you new information. But foolish people say nothing worth hearing” (15:7).

“A wise person tries to gain more knowledge. But a foolish person only wants more foolishness” (15:14).

“Good people think before they answer. But evil people speak before they think, and that causes them trouble” (15:28).

“People will know if a person is wise. And a person that carefully chooses his words can be very persuasive” (16:21).

“A wise man always thinks before he speaks. And the words he says are good and worth hearing” (16:23).

“A troublemaker causes a lot of trouble for his friends. He will lead them in a way that is not good. That person winks his eye while planning something destructive. He smiles while he is planning to hurt his neighbor” (16:29-30).

“Even a fool seems wise if he keeps quiet. People think he is wise if he doesn’t say anything” (17:28).

“A foolish person doesn’t want to learn from other people. That person only wants to tell his own ideas” (18:2).

“When a foolish person talks, he ruins himself. His own words trap him” (18:7).

“Any fool can start an argument. So you should respect a person who refuses to argue” (20:3).

“Gold and jewels can make a man rich. But a person who knows what he is talking about is worth much, much more” (20:15).

“If a person is careful about the things he says, then he saves himself from trouble” (21:23).

“I will be happy in my heart if I hear you say things that are right” (23:16).

“Don’t be jealous of evil people. Don’t waste your time with them. In their hearts they plan to do evil. All they talk about is making trouble” (24:1-2).

Here is a difficult situation: If a fool asks a stupid question, then don’t give him a stupid answer or you, too, will look like a fool; But if a fool asks a stupid question, then you should give him a stupid answer or he will think he is very smart” (26:4-5).

“When a fool tries to say something wise, it is like a crippled person trying to walk” (26:7).

“If a person tries to settle a problem with a fool, then the fool will argue and say stupid things. And the two people will never agree” (29:9).

“If a person speaks without thinking, there is no hope for him. There is more hope for a fool than for the person who speaks without thinking” (29:20).

James 1:19-26:
    “My dear brothers and sisters, always be more willing to listen than to speak. Don’t become angry easily. A person’s anger does not help him live right like God wants. So put out of your life every evil thing and every kind of wrong thing you do. Be humble and accept God’s teaching that is planted in your hearts. This teaching can save your souls. Do what God’s teaching says; don’t just listen and do nothing. Why? Because when you only sit and listen, you are fooling yourselves. If a person hears God’s teaching and does nothing, he is like this: He is like a man who looks at his face in the mirror. The man sees himself, then goes away and quickly forgets what he looked like. But the truly happy person is the person who carefully studies God’s perfect law that makes people free. He continues to study it. He listens to God’s teaching and does not forget what he heard. Then he obeys what God’s teaching says. When that person does this, it makes that person happy. Some person might think he is religious. But if that person says things he should not say, then he is fooling himself. His ‘religion’ is worth nothing.”

Did I read the verses that he sent me? Yes I did. Can somebody please explain to me what in the world is Proverbs 26:4-5 is talking about? Is that a stupid question? Thank you.

Are you able to count that high or did you have to get your computer do that for you? Just kidding you.

Okay, Next subject “The Gospel of Judas”.

Proverbs 26:4-5 demonstrates that it is not always easy to know how to answer a fool. The truth of these words often hit home when I try to respond to some of the comments left on my blog.

Then, there is this classic:

“Never argue with an idiot; he’ll just drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience.”

9. J-Train says:

Berean,

I have some honest and sincere advice for you.

1. Type slowly and read out loud to yourself what you post before you do so. Half the time, you don’t make much sense (I’m not trying to be mean here, I’m being honest).

2. Please stop all the cut and paste stuff. I know I’d be much more willing to read your posts and respond honestly and without ire if you’d post your own thoughts, instead of other’s thoughts on the matter.

3. I’ve known Drew a very long time, and if you ask honest, sincere questions, he will take the time to answer. If you ask questions in a derisive way and attempt to throw in insults (drop those by the way, you’re not very good at them), Drew won’t give you the dignity of a response. I, on the other hand, will jump to his defense and make fun of you all day long and offer to fight you in the playground after school.

Anyway, just some advice. I really hope you take it as it was intended…in a relatively kind-hearted way.

-Joel

Anonymous, You are going to love this. Some body else said something to me about my “high and mighty approach”. I had another person ask me if I was “inspiried”. See, I told you that you would love this. Okay you and the other’s might have point that I am going overboard with this “high and mighty” approach.

Joel, thank you for your comments. I will take it like it was intended. I just had somebody else tell me the exactly the same thing. When two different people tell me say the same thing at the same time, I have to listen.